Oudomxay seeking funds to help fire victims
Oudomxay provincial authorities are continuing to mobilise funds and construction equipment to assist families after 26 houses in Donkham village, Houn district in Oudomxay were engulfed in flames recently.
Houn District Governor Mr Bounkhong Lachiemphone told Vientiane Times on Friday that “we are planning to construct new houses for all the victims and are now continuing to mobilise funds and construction equipment”.
“Currently many government sectors and members of the private sector have provided both funds and construction equipment to assist in building the news houses. However, we also need more funds and construction equipment and essential materials, especially food, rice and clothes.
The head of Houn district's Office of Labour and Social Welfare, Mr Khamphou Duangthala said “we have already received over 173 million kip from the government and private sector along with 10 tonnes of cement and one tonne of rice.”
According to a local police officer 26 houses have been destroyed and three local community members sustained injuries.
The buildings were mostly made of wood and during the fire the fire control police were unable to spray water directly onto the homes because the road into the area was too small.
The assets recorded as damaged included six motorbikes, six pigs and many other personal items.
Police and authorities have noted that the fire resulted in losses of over two billion kip with the fire thought to have been started by an electrical short circuit.
Donkham village makes up over 200 households with the majority of the villagers being ethnic Khmu.
Currently the victims were in need of more food, water, clothes and alternative accommodations as Oudomxay is experiencing cold winter weather, according to local authorities.
Anyone interested in helping or providing blankets, warm clothing, or equipment for reconstruction or any other items are invited to call the District office: 081 212 290.
Vientiane Fire Prevention and Protection Police Department also recently reported that on the evening of February 16 a stack of plastic recyclable bottles of a water drinking company there burned down resulting in damages over 20 million kip.
On the same day 30 hectares of grassland was also destroyed by fire.
Fire officials want to remind the public that a fire can occur at any time and can be caused by electrical faults, lit candles, failure to check electrical devices and appliances before leaving home,burning garbage, or children being left unattended in the home. The department advised the public to check all electrical devices before leaving home, to take care when burning rubbish and not to let children play with fire.
The department also repeated its warning for people to be on their guard against accidental fires and not to take risks with electrical wiring or appliances or to leave burning candles unattended.
By Times Reporters
(Latest Update February 18, 2017)